Thursday, May 16, 2013

Waterproof Bible - REVIEW

Have you ever come across something that makes you share your head and say, "HUH??!?! A what?!?!"  Yeah, me too.  This happened to be one of those things.  Bardin Marsee Publishing is really taking something classic and turning it on its head, as the saying goes.  Or are they?  Any book lover knows that you don't mistreat these beloved creatures, no matter how big or small.  Those of us who are of the Christian faith hold the Bible in an even higher regard.  Making a Bible waterproof and having reviewers put this claim to the test is such an amazing opportunity.  I admit to being a skeptic.  I admit to also being very challenged by the thought of intentionally trying to cause harm to a book. 




The story behind the Waterproof Bible really is a practical one.  The company motto is "Be Inspired.  Anywhere".  We've all had that moment of regret with a book.  A spilled drink, dropping it while carrying it outside, something causing us to forget it in a place that gets it wet or dirty..and for parents, the ultimate horror is that moment when a young child grabs that book by the pages and they end up ripping it.  My very first Bible was damaged at the teeth of my beloved Irish Setter, and so I know well the heartache of having something as precious as my Bible permanently damaged by something so simple as daily life.  The publishers, being outdoorsy and adventurous, found a gap that needed to be filled.  While camping, hiking, and even just having fellowship outside are normal things, your average, every day Bible is not likely to be a regular part of it because those delicate pages don't tolerate the wind, the rain, the rigorous trekking without showing wear and tear.  Let me tell you, we put ours to the test. 

I waited for the best possible days to get good pictures and show what we really did, as much as I could.  That meant waiting until the last minute to get the best pictures to go with the review.  The weather here has been rather wild and not conducive to being outside and taking pictures.


We took it to the creek and let it go for a ride. 
Picked it right up, squeezed it firmly to get the water out...
KJV Waterproof Bible
NT, Ps & Pr Blue Wave
ISBN# 9780984085712


• New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs
• Extremely Durable Synthetic Pages
• 100% Worry Free
• Stain Resistant
• Ultra Clear Text
• Ideal for Gear Bag or Backpack, Tote Bag or Purse
• Dry Highlight
• Write and Underline
• No Bleed Thru
The durability of the Waterproof Bible gives you the freedom to take God's Word with you anywhere - lounging, fishing, exercising, traveling, camping, missions... with worry free confidence that your Bible will withstand the test of time.
Specs: 376 pages, 4 1/4" x 7", 7 pt font
Material: 100% Waterproof Synthetic Paper and Binding

Price: $24.95 


These Bibles are made of synthetic materials that are not only waterproof, but allow some of the Bibles to float.  These Bibles come in both the full version and the New Testament Version with Psalms and Proverbs.  They come in the 5 most popular translations (King James Version, English Standard Version, New King James Version, New International Version, and New Living Translation).  There are 4 different options for the cover (Camouflage, Blue Wave, Pink Brown Floral, or Lily Pad).

There is a whole list of buying options on the shopping page.  You can find anything from accessories to a clearance section with affordable options for fulfilling the needs of a family on a tight budget.

I really appreciate that there is the ability to personalize these Bibles!  My dog-chewed Bible has always been special to me because it has my name embossed in the leather cover.  It was a big deal to get that first Bible from my church back in 2nd grade, and I worried that these Bibles wouldn't afford that opportunity.  I was wrong. I found that the prices are VERY affordable for a quality Bible, and was impressed with the options.  The company also offers a BOGO opportunity where you "Buy One, Give One" that is used within the ministry they choose to partner with and they do all the leg work to get the Bible into the hands of those who need it.


We sprayed it with a garden hose to be sure there was nothing left of the sediment and sand from the creek.


Nice and strong....



See the water run right out of it?
Squeeze out what you can (two hands works better, but it is hard to do that and use the camera!)

Stand it up to let it air out a bit...note the pages seem to cling together...just fan it out when dry, and all is back to normal.

Right back to where we started.
Weathered, but not worn.


I am totally thrilled with this Bible and the materials with which it was made.  I would LOVE to recommend this to anyone!!!

 Now, I can tell you what we did NOT do: 

  • I didn't try any writing utensils or highlighters in it.  I couldn't do it.  I was always taught to not write in my books, not even my Bible.  Note pads are for that job. 
  • I was sorely tempted, but never did try red beverages.  I just couldn't imagine what it would feel like if it didn't wash off as easily as the mud, dirt, cracker crumbs and frosting did.  
  • We did not try any petroleum based products.  The publisher was clear that those types of products could affect the integrity of the materials used to make the book.
  • We did not leave it outside for any extended periods of time.  While the publishers were clear that the book is durable and could handle some exposure, our weather has been so very extreme, I didn't feel safe for fear it may have been damaged by wind or flying debris, if not disappear on me. There was also that concern of stray or wild animals that I'd rather not discuss.
  •  We discussed a run through the dishwasher to simulate a good cleaning.  I opted not to because of the heat.  I do not want to risk damaging this book, as I rather like it and want to keep it in usable condition. 


    To reach the publisher:
http://www.bardinmarsee.com/
866.846.4338
Find them on Facebook

And last, but not least?  I got the video to work!  Here you go! Don't mind the amateur flaws, it was fun to do anyway.  My tester was not thrilled to participate, but it was fun to see how the Bible would hold up.

Waterproof Bible put to the test from Stacy Erickson on Vimeo.
As a reviewer for Mosaic Reviews, I had the opportunity to review the Waterproof Bible and put it to the test.












0 comments:

Post a Comment